Tour de Dovre is one of the best cycling routes Mountain-Norway has to offer. This 126 km long round-trip route takes you through beautiful mountain terrains, valleys and scenic farmlands, and through three National Parks; Rondane, Dovre and Dovrefjell. There are multiple highlights along the route; from travelling through the U-valleys of Gudbrandsdalen and Grimsdalen, to going moose and Musk Ox Safari to seeing the world famous Viewpoint Snøhetta. This route is perfect for those in average physical shape, with some cycling experience, and who want to experience the real Norwegian mountains.
Accommodation, food and drinks:
- Accommodation and food included
- Food and drinks are included and served at the accommodations
- “Hiking-Board” meal plan with 3 meals a day included in the price! For more information read more here.
- Transportation from end of route to start included
- Transfers during route included
- Your luggage will be transferred separately on all the legs and arrive at each destination
- Bring your own bike or bike rental available as add-on
Most of this route is medium. We offer electrical bikes that provide support in the ascents. With an electrical bike this route is Easy
- Day 1: Arrive by train from Oslo. Accommodation and dinner at Hjerkinn Fjellstue
- Day 2: Cycling from Hjerkinn to Grimsdalshytta (54 km)
- Day 3: Cycling from Grimsdalshytta to Trolltun (39 km)
- Day 4: Cycling from Trolltun to Hjerkinn Fjellstue (33km)
- Day 5: Departure: Train back to Oslo
- 2x Hjerkinn Fjellstue
- 1x Grimsdalshytta
- 1x Trolltun
Hjerkinn to Grimsdalshytta
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 54 km
- Elevation Gain: 470 meters
- Elevation Drop: 490 meters
- Duration: 3-4 hours
The first part of the route is relatively easy and on asphalt which will entail some road traffic. Follow the river Folla down into the valley. You will eventually arrive at Folldal an get on the Rondane National Tourist Road, heading West. You are now entering Grimsdalen which is one of the most stunning mountain valleys in Norway. Cycle between two of Norways finest national parks, Dovre national park on your right, and Rondane National Park on your left. Arrive at Grimsdalshytta which lies in the heart of Dovre National Park.
Grimsdalshytta to Trolltun
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 39 km
- Elevation Gain: 540 meters
- Elevation Drop: 740 meters
- Duration: 3,5-4,5 hours
Travel through Grimsdalen, along the rivers Grimse, Grimsdalsmyerene and Veslegrimsi. The trail here is quite flat, but it will eventually reach a steep ascent as you climb up to a plateu. Descend 620 meters within 12 kilometers into Dovre. You are now in one of the most famous valleys in Norway Gudbrandsdalen. Follow the valley to North to Trolltun, cycling along the river Gudbrandslågen.
Trolltun to Hjerkinn
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 33 km
- Elevation Gain: 328 meters
- Elevation Drop: 112 meters
- Duration: 2-3 hours
Follow the “old mountain road”, the hiking and bike road across Dovrefjell. On your right you will have the fantastic Dovre National Park, and on your left you can see the valley of Grytdalen and the mountain Snøhetta, the tallest mountain in the Dovrefjell mountain range. There are several good location to stop for sightseeing, photos and lunch.
Book your cycling tour now:
For more options, see all our excursions.