Our Jotunheimen Green Route Itinerary is a 6-day trek designed for hikers of average fitness, with some basic hiking and outdoor skills. This route takes you straight into the heart of Jotunheimen, across the beautiful Bygdin Lake to high peaks and through adventurous valleys. You will stay in some of the most historic accommodations in the Jotunheimen area, and hike to viewpoints and trails that have inspired mountaineers and artists for centuries. Minimum total route is 40 km and maximum can vary from 45 km to 50 km.
Climb the magnificent Bitihorn (1607 masl), and jump on the boat cruise, M/B Bitihorn, that takes you across the beautiful Bygdin Lake, and trek through Svartdalen and Veslådalen. The journey through Svartdalen is one of the most appreciated and respected treks among Norwegian outdoor adventurers. The arduous walk combined with dramatic mountains towering over you from all sides can make you feel like you’re in an old folk tale. On misty days this sentiment is emphasised as the pale light allows for the “reveal” of indistinct faces in the mountains and mythical mountain creatures hiding behind the cliffs. On clearer days, you can see the magnificent white peaks rising on either side of you, including Knutsholstiden, once believed to be the tallest mountain in Norway. The hike to Fondsbu via Veslådalen is a very popular hike that connects two traditional lodges, Gjendebu and Fondsbu DNT.
This itinerary includes a free day for you to get a chance to rest and enjoy a relaxing day at Gjendebu Lodge. Alternatively you could spend this day exploring an optional hike such as the hike from Memurubu to Gjendebu across Bukkelægret; walking along the Ridge of Sjugurdtinden you will have access to the panoramas on all sides of the ridge; overlooking the Gjende lake in the East, the mesmerising valley of Memurudalen going North-West, the mountainous landscape in the West and the steep peaks towering over the Gjende Lake in the South. This is arguably one of the best and subsequently one of the more heavily underrated views in the area. This hike offers an exciting blend of mountain and nature hiking as well as it allows you to put your climbing skills to the test.
As another option for your free day, you could try a less arduous hike, namely Gjendetunga. This is perfect for those who want to indulge in a nice, relaxing and shorter walk, but who doesn’t want to go without a panoramic view experience. Towering over Gjendebu, Gjendetunga lies at 1516 masl and is “a not to miss” hike if you’re in this area. On clear days you can enjoy your lunch at the top of the mountain overlooking Gjende and its surrounding mountains. This is a road less travelled, but the Gjendetunga hike has earned its rightful place as one of the best ways to experience Gjende.
Stay in classic lodges such as the historic Bygdin Hotel, the charismatic Fondsbu DNT and Gjendebu. The latter is a charming and cosy hiking hub where people from all over the world come together to share their experiences, in a peaceful and friendly ambience in the heart of nature.
We also support you with luggage transportation during the trip and with transportation to and from Oslo or Bergen
For a longer and more challenging route, we also have the red route.
Keep reading to learn more about this route. Or scroll down to make a reservation.
Accommodation, food and drinks:
- All accommodations included
- Food and drinks are served at accommodations
- “Hiking-Board” meal plan with 3 meals a day included in the price! For more information read more here.
- Bus transportation round-trip from Oslo to start and end of tour included
- Transportation from end of route to start included
- Luggage transportation for all the stages are included.
- Day 1: Bus from Oslo Busterminal to Bygdin Hotel
- Day 2: Hiking Bitihorn
- Day 3: Hiking from Bygdin Hotel to Gjendebu DNT Cabin (Svartdalen hike)
- Day 4: Free day at Gjendebu
- Day 5: Hiking from Gjendebu to Eidsbugarden
- Day 6: Departure from Eidsbugarden to Bygdin by boat and Oslo Busterminal by bus
- 2x nights Bygdin Hotel
- 2x nights Gjendebu
- 1x night Fondsbu DNT
Hike Agenda / Stage Information:
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 10 kilometers (Out and back)
- Elevation Gain: 600 meters
- Duration: 5-8 hours from Bygdin (4-6 hours from the parking)
Bitihorn at 1607 meters above sea level is one of the classical and easier hikes suited well for beginners in the area. The route start at the doorstep of Bygdin hotel and takes you up to a fantastic panoramic view over Valdres.
Svartdalen valley (Torfinnsbu to Gjendebu)
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 14 kilometers (point‑to‑point)
- Elevation Gain: 610 meters
- Duration: 6–8 hours
The hike from Torfinnsbu to Gjendebu takes you through Svartdalen (Black Valley) where you are surrounded by towering peaks, many of which have been the root of arguments between mountaineers back in the days. Knutsholstinden (2341 meters above sea level) was originally thought to be the most demanding peak in the region, but William Cecil Slingsby, who was the first person to climb Store Skagastølstinden (2405 meters above sea level), brought a local milkmaid on his ascent on Knutsholstinden, to prove that it was “a ladies peak”.
- Knutsholstind (2342 meters above sea level) was thought to be Norway’s highest mountain in earlier times.
- Torfinnsbu boasts the easiest entry to the most 2000 meter peaks of all DNT cabins.
Gjendebu to Eidsbugarden
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 15.8 kilometers (point-to-point)
- Elevation Gain: 500 meters
- Duration: 5–7 hours
The hiking route between the Gjendebu and Eidsbugard takes you from Lake Gjende to Lake Bygdin through Jotunheimen National Park. Starting off from the birch forest by Gjendebu you follow the Veslådalen valley before heading down to Lake Bygdin and Eidsbugard.
The hike is long but moderate with no steep ascents. Most of the trail is on soft soil and along the way are views of many of Jotunheimen’s highest peaks.
- Eisbugarden and Fondsbu Lodge have welcomed royalty, celebrities, and hikers from all over the world
- This region is the most-visited mountain area north of the Alps
Book your Discover Jotunheimen tour now:
For more options, see all our excursions.