Discover Jotunheimen – Svartdalen and Besseggen (4 days)Share:
Welcome to our amazing 4-day Jotunheimen Svartdalen and Besseggen getaway. Out tour is intended for people in average physical shape and condition, with some previous hiking experience from alpine mountain areas.
Hike the popular Besseggen trail, a classic adventure for Norwegians. Over the years more and more tourists have been drawn to take the journey across this mountain ridge, in the footsteps of great adventurers. In recent years, an estimate of around 60 000 hikers cross this popular ride annually. It’s attraction lies both in its mesmerising scenery, from the turquoise waters of the Gjende lake, to the spectacular view of mountain ridges and peaks into the far distance, as well as in its demanding terrain; steep descents and ascents, and long trails. Its cultural significance and strenuous nature has made it an important point of reference in Norwegian culture and it is a true rite of passage for Norwegian hikers .
The journey through Svartdalen is one of the most appreciated and respected treks among Norwegian outdoor adventurers. The arduous walk combined with dramatic mountains towering over you from all sides can make you feel like you’re in an old folk tale. On misty days this sentiment is emphasised as the pale light allows for the “reveal” of indistinct faces in the mountains and mythical mountain creatures hiding behind the cliffs. On clearer days, you can see the magnificent white peaks rising on either side of you, including Knutsholstiden, once believed to be the tallest mountain in Norway.
Stay in classic and historic lodges such as the Bygdin Hotel, Gjendesheim and Gjendebu, where people from all over the come together to share their experiences, in peaceful and friendly ambiences in the heart of nature.
For a longer and more challenging route, we also have the green route.
Accommodation, food and drinks:
- All accommodations included
- Food and drinks are served at accommodations
- “Hiking-Board” meal plan with 3 meals a day included in the price! For more information read more here.
- Bus transportation round-trip from/to Oslo is available as add-on
- Transportation from end of route to start included
- Luggage transportation for all the stages are included.
- Day 1: Bus from Oslo Busterminal to Bygdin Hotel
- Day 2: Hiking Svartdalen
- Day 3: Hiking Besseggen hike
- Day 4:Departure
- 1x nights Bygdin Hotel
- 1x nights Gjendebu
- 1x night Gjendesheim
Svartdalen valley (Torfinnsbu to Gjendebu)
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 14 kilometers (point‑to‑point)
- Elevation Gain: 610 meters
- Duration: 6–8 hours
The hike from Torfinnsbu to Gjendebu takes you through Svartdalen (Black Valley) where you are surrounded by towering peaks, many of which have been the root of arguments between mountaineers back in the days. Knutsholstinden (2341 meters above sea level) was originally thought to be the most demanding peak in the region, but William Cecil Slingsby, who was the first person to climb Store Skagastølstinden (2405 meters above sea level), brought a local milkmaid on his ascent on Knutsholstinden, to prove that it was “a ladies peak”.
- Knutsholstind (2342 meters above sea level) was thought to be Norway’s highest mountain in earlier times.
- Torfinnsbu boasts to be the easiest entry to the most 2000 meter peaks of all DNT cabins.
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 13.1 kilometers (point-to-point)
- Elevation Gain: 1,300 meters
- Duration: 7–9 hours
The popular Besseggen ridge is a route route of about 6-8 hours (breaks included). The Besseggen hike takes you over the spectacular, steep, and some places very narrow trails which plunge four hundred meters straight down into the lake below.